Whether you own a portable or whole house standby generator, it’s important to perform regular maintenance to ensure maximum performance.
Be sure to check the owner’s manual and follow the procedures and service intervals for your specific model, including:
- checking and changing the oil
- cleaning the spark arrestor screen
- replacing the air filter
- replacing the spark plug
In addition to performing the regular maintenance above, here are a few more tips to keep your generator running smoothly.
Portable Generator Tips
Portable generators are not designed to power your central heating or cooling system or other items that draw a substantial amount of power in your home. But, they are ideal to run critical items, such as lights or a refrigerator.
- Store the generator in a location where the equipment won’t be exposed to excessive dust, dirt, moisture, or corrosive vapors.
- Clean it periodically with a damp cloth or soft bristle brush.
- Don’t hose the generator down with water.
- When storing the unit for more than 30 days, empty the fuel or add a fuel stabilizer to the tank and run it through the system.
- If the generator has an electric start, keep the battery charged during long storage.
- Run the generator for 10 minutes or so every two to three months.
Home Standby Generator Tips
Automatic standby generators are fueled by natural gas or propane and are hardwired into your home’s electrical system. They start automatically when the power goes out and cut off when the power comes back on.
- A standby generator should run a brief self-test once a week to ensure that everything is working properly. Verify that the unit ran and has no alarms or warnings.
- Ensure the generator is in “auto” mode, so it will automatically start up.
- Make sure the unit is clean and free of debris, inside and outside the enclosure.
- Keep the battery terminals clean and tight.
- Have your unit serviced every six months by CT Generator Service.
Contact Us When Your for Your Home Standby Generator Installation and Also for Maintenance!
☎️ (860) 343-1797
📩 [email protected]com